Saturday, December 17, 2005

First project from The New Crochet

This is the floral choker from The New Crochet, which I first mentioned a couple of days ago. The project advertised itself as "make today, wear tonight" and it certainly was fast. It took about 2 hours start to finish. I made the band last night right before going to bed, and made the flowers tonight while watching the Frosty the Snowman hour on CBS. The pattern calls for silk yarn, but of course I didn't have any, so I just used Red Heart Baby Soft yarn. I'm really appreciative of the way the book gives not only the exact yarn used in the project but the weight. That way it's easier to substitute yarns. I hate it when a book only gives the name brand of the yarn they used for the product. I can't afford most of the yarns named by name, and it's a royal pain sometimes trying to figure out what I might be able to substitute. So this makes things simple, and I like that.

Next project, since I'm effectively done with Christmas gifts: the skirt-embellishment from the same book. I'm thinking it will remain off my skirt until such a time as I can buy a lot more snap tape; I'd really prefer to be able to take it off. I also want to make Bendy's bracelet from Crochet!, but I'll have to make a stop at Wal-Mart for the elastic thread & the proper beads first. That stuff will probably be cheap enough for me to get it this pay period. We'll see.

No comments: